Saturday 21 May 2016

I listen to the voices. —William Faulkner


While Lizzy is out touring the world via the query process (she's travelling at a leisurely pace and visiting only a few agents at a time), Mags has been making her way into her own story. She's very different from Lizzy. Whereas Lizzy is full of angst and anger, Mags is upbeat and bubbly and sees the good in everyone. Lizzy is disengaged from life; Mags revels in it. Unfortunately, she has recently found herself unexpectedly in a difficult situation. But, she is resilient and resourceful. She will find a way out. I know she will.

Tentatively, this is the opening paragraph. Mags is about to say goodbye to her childhood friends, knows that things will never be the same between them again, and she's struggling with it. So, without further ado, Dear Readers, meet Mags.

I love to laugh. I laugh 'til I snort like a pot-bellied pig. I know it's gross, but I can't help it. Snorting makes me laugh all the harder until I'm bent over with the pain and have to calm down before I die from not breathing. Yeah, I love to laugh. But not today. There's no laughter inside me today.
 

 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Falkner, I hear voice, too. And I love it!
    Great voice, Mags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zan Marie. She is great fun to write.

      Delete
  2. Lovely character. I think there's nothing better than putting two opposites in the room so they can set each other off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,

    Thank you and I agree. Contrasting characters make for interesting situations. Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and I agree. Contrasting characters make for interesting situations. Thanks so much for stopping by.
    VoiceOfAndhra

    ReplyDelete

A huge part of publishing a book is promotion. If researching a story is a rabbit hole, creating promo material is a black hole. There is an...