Sunday 13 August 2017

Oh, Spring! I want to go out and feel you and get inspiration. —Emily Carr

I’ve always loved hot weather—the hotter, the stickier, the better. But the last few weeks of 30-degree-plus weather, combined with the haze of smoke from forest fires on the mainland, knocked the stuffing out of me. I was lethargic and unmotivated. I continued to walk my hour a day but switched it to early morning before it got too hot. I still worked for a couple of hours in the garden each day, but it was sweaty, uncomfortable, and not remotely fulfilling. Fatigued by heat, I could not summon much enthusiasm to be productive in the afternoons.
 
Last night it rained for the first time in two months. Not a deluge, mind you, but some honest-to-goodness splattering on parched soil. Today the skies are blue, the sun is bright and the air is refreshingly cool. I’m sure I can hear the flowers and trees burping in contentment. My energy is surging along with the rivers and ideas for writing are popping up like the neon green buds in the pasture beyond our property.

I guess I’m no longer a summer girl. I’m more of a spring woman, appreciating the gift of new opportunities for growth whatever time of year they arrive. Thank you, Mother Nature, for nurturing the land. And now, riding on the high of crisp smoke-free air, I’m off to cultivate the fallow field that has been my mind these past two weeks.

Wishing everyone a little spring in your lives! J


4 comments:

  1. We've had the reverse problem: Flooding, thunderstorms every other day, etc. The climate really seems to be acting up. I'm glad you got some well-needed rain. And good luck with "cultivating the fallow field"; you can do it and the hard work will be rewarded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole,

      Central Canada has been having a similar summer to yours in Germany. As you can see from the brown lawn in the pic, the rain wasn't plentiful but it did break the heat. Two cooler days has already brought two productive days, both outside and in my writing. I hope your weather improves soon.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on the writing, enjoy the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Spesh. I am loving the cooler temps and getting back into routine.

      Delete

A huge part of publishing a book is promotion. If researching a story is a rabbit hole, creating promo material is a black hole. There is an...